Thursday, May 5, 2011

Dorm Room Take 3

Hey!

My Doodlebug said, " You know, you love it Mommy."

I swore I wouldn't do this again... after all, I've already done it---- twice!!
Yet, she's right ... I can't resist the challenge or that sweet face!

Freshman year: 
I sewed and sewed until I thought my fingers would fall off!
Move-in day and not quite finished here; but it's the only picture I have.

Painting wasn't an option and the room really needed a big shot of color.
Headboards covered with turquoise raw silk were the answer.
( I know -- a little extravagant but those concrete block walls needed something!!! )

 Next, I bought beds in a bag from Target and used the sheets to make the curtains and the bed skirts: trimming everything with turquoise ball fringe or lime green rickrack.

I purchased lime green fabric and a turquoise fabric and made desk chair covers and a second set of curtains to separate the beds from the closets. (another chance to add color!!!)
All the remnant fabric became pillows for their beds.

Total for the room including carpet and an ottoman --- $500  ($250 each).


 I thought that would be it.......I was mistaken......

Sophomore year:
New roommate, new dorm and Doodlebug wanted a new color palette.
 I said "Ok, but I'm not waitin'  till the last minute and I'm not spendin' as much as last time."
 I really showed her, didn't I ??!! Lol!!


Same headboard just recovered in a different fabric.  The brown and aqua fabrics are sheets. The brown duvet cover laying across the top is striped on the back side in yellow, aqua and brown.  The brown and white floral fabric I bought. The dust ruffle has red piping and the aqua pillow has a wide red trim.

The small  floral pillow is actually made out of old leather shorts and jackets I found at thrift shops.
The small brown pillow is made from a velour leopard print dress I cut up.
The red body pillow is made out of an old red curtain printed with small white stars. 

And once again, a picture during move-in day so the room is not totally put together with canvases covering those lovely concrete block walls!  
( This room is only 9 feet across!!!)

Total for this room -- $300  ($150 each)

And here we are...
This coming fall or aka Junior year:
My Doodlebug moves into the sorority house - new roommate and a full bed so none of the previous stuff works........Aw, shucks!

My budget ----$200 total  ($100 each)
But wait.............a twist.........her roommate needs her part by May 14th.
She is attending summer school.    Yikes!!!!

Here are the new fabrics -- a decidedly more grown up palette.  
The fabric store had a huge sale two weeks ago.  
The floral Tommy Bahama print and the Kaufmann animal print were $2 a yard!!! 
The light blue was $3.98 a yard. Total price for all was just shy of $150-- Score!!!!

Can I do it??? Can I stay under budget?? Are you gonna stay tuned in to find out??

Blessings,

Mimi

"She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. ..She sets about her work vigorously; 
her arms are strong for her tasks... She makes coverings for her bed;"  
Proverbs 31:13,17,22a  The Holy Bible



1 comment:

  1. Oh Mimi, you are just the most creative thing! What would be a chore to me sounds like pure adventure in your words. Lucky doodlebug :)

    ReplyDelete