French Country Stew
Today is one of those cold yucky rainy days. French Country Stew or Beef Daube is a warm hearty meal with a delicious aroma and taste --- just perfect for a day like today.
This recipe does require 2 days but it's wonderful and oh, so worth it! I've shown it here served with spaghetti squash and green beans but I've also served the stew with a cheesy penne pasta and a green salad.
- 1/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 (4-pound) boneless rump roast or chuck roast, well trimmed and cut into 2" pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 4 small yellow onions, cut into wedges
- 4 large carrots, scraped and cut into 2"
- 1 head garlic, separated into cloves, each peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle Cabernet Sauvignon or Côtes du Rhône or other spicy, full-bodied red wine
- Bouquet garni*
- Garnish: fresh rosemary
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Brown beef in several batches in hot oil until browned on all sides. Remove beef to a large plate, reserving drippings in Dutch oven.
- Sauté onion, carrot, and garlic in reserved drippings over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and wine. Return beef to pan; add bouquet garni. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat, and cool completely. Cover pan and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove Dutch oven from refrigerator. Skim fat from surface, if desired. Let stew stand 20 minutes. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Uncover and simmer 30 more minutes or until beef is very tender and stew is thickened. Discard bouquet garni before serving. Garnish each serving, if desired.
- *A bouquet garni is a small bundle of fresh herbs, such as parsley, thyme and bay leaves, tied together with kitchen twine. We tested with flat-leaf parsley, rosemary and 2 bay leaves.
"But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that."
1 Timothy 6:8 NIV Bible