Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Craft Day: T-shirt with Fabric Pocket

Hey!

All the rage on the college campus where my daughter attends school are cute t-shirts with a fabric pocket.  Honey Do made me one and, bless her heart, she sewed the pocket on by hand.  She must love me!

I'm going to share how to make one with you.  You need a t-shirt, a scrap of fabric, a pocket pattern and a coffee filter as well as thread, a sewing machine and scissors.  My pocket pattern is 4 3/4" x 5 3/4" to the point.  The finished pocket will be 4 1/2" x 5 1/2", give or take a little. 


After cutting out a pocket in the fabric, I ironed the edges 1/4" under all the way around.
Next, I sewed a hem in the top of my pocket.  Then, I pinned the pocket with the edges tucked under onto the shirt.


After the pocket is pinned, slide the shirt under the foot of the sewing machine to stitch the right side starting at the top of the pocket.  Before you stitch, take the coffee filter and slide it under the t-shirt.  The coffee filter will be between the machine and the t-shirt and under the sewing foot.  I learned this trick from a friend of mine.  The coffee filter acts as a stabilizer and keeps the t-shirt and fabric from puckering.


When you are done stitching the three sides, turn the shirt inside out and tear away the coffee filter.


Turn the shirt right side out and you're all done!


I would suggest that you wash the fabric and t-shirt first, before you start, in case they shrink.  Also, another cute addition to the pocket would be to add a monogram. : )
Have fun crafting!

Blessings,

Mimi


"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves 
with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."   
Colossians 3:12  NIV Bible

2 comments:

  1. where did you get your pocket pattern? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!
      I drew it. If you have a shirt with a pocket that you like, I'd suggest that you trace it onto a piece of paper and add extra around the perimeter for sewing or measure the pocket and draw it out.
      I'm glad that you like the project.
      Good luck
      Mimi

      Delete