Sunday, October 21, 2012

Day 21 of 31 Days of Books off my Shelf


Day 21

Hey!

Happy Sabbath day!   A friend recommended this book to me and I'm so glad she did.

girl meets God 
 Lauren Winner



Born of a Jewish father and a Southern Baptist mother, Ms. Winner grew up as an Orthodox Jew. This memoir shares her conversion journey from Judaism to Christianity and her struggle to find balance between her new faith while retaining parts of her old one.
 
"I gave away all my Jewish books and let go of all my Jewish ways, but I realized, as I spent time with other Christians, that Judaism shaped how I saw Christianity. It shaped the way I read the bible, the way I thought about Jesus, the way I understood what He meant when He talked about the yoke of the law. ...I hadn't given up the shape in which I saw the world, or the words I knew for God, and those shapes and words were mostly Jewish."

I enjoyed her many descriptions and explanations of the practices of Judaism and also her view of how the practices and beliefs of Jews contrast with those of Christians.  


Happy Reading!


Mimi



"For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile--- the same Lord is Lord of all and richly 
blesses all who call on him, for,  "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."" 
 Romans 10:12,13  NIV Bible




Click here to see the rest of my 31 Day posts on books.




2 comments:

  1. Mimi! This is one of my favorites! A friend suggested it to me a couple of years ago and I loved it. She mentions so many places near us in NC and her journey was just fascinating to me... I almost included it in my series, but may use it for something else. Great read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie -- We're twinkies! I obviously loved it too. I hope you use it --can't wait to see what you do : )

      Delete