Sunday, October 7, 2012

Day 7 of 31 Days of Books off my Shelf


Day 7

Hey!

 I don't know about you but when my children were living at home, I quite often felt like I needed some help in the parenting department!  Dr. Boyd bases the principles of his book on the biblical teaching of Proverbs 22:6 and the DISC personality profile.

Different Children Different Needs 
by Dr. Charles F. Boyd


"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."

He believes that this verse from Proverbs instructs us to nurture our children according to their nature. Dr. Boyd  asserts that parents tend to raise their children in the way the parent believes the child ought to go or in the direction the parent wants them to go.   He says,

" we actually bend our children out of the shape that God has instilled in them.  Many 
problems of low self esteem and low confidence stem from parents who failed to accept
 their children for who God had made them to be."   

The book contains a very short concise version of the DISC personality profile test to determine the child's and the parent's style.  The book is also filled with information about each personality type and scenarios of how to parent the various types.  For example, if my child is a "D" personality but I am an "S" personality then I need to adapt my parenting style towards the needs of the "D" child to bring out the best in him/her.

Oh, how I wish I'd had this book when my children were young.  I didn't find it until they were teenagers, however, I did benefit from it even then.  Through better understanding of their natures and the suggestions Dr. Boyd provides, I found I understood and communicated better with them.

Interested in more 31 day blogs about books?  Check out these sites : )


Happy Reading!


Mimi


"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."  
Proverbs 22:6  NIV Bible



No comments:

Post a Comment