Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Shrimp and Sausage Pasta

Shrimp and Sausage Pasta

Hey!

I don't know if you're like me, but some days when that 5pm hour comes around I don't have a clue what to make for supper.  Nothing seems to sound good and other things take too long to cook.  On those days, I'm really looking for something quick because honestly, the real problem is I'm tired, worn out and can't think.

This recipe is one that I made up and has my family's seal of tasty approval.  It's also really easy to multiply or change ingredients.


Shrimp and Sausage Pasta 
1 box of fettuccine noodles
1 pound of raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 package of Hillshire Farm Polska Kielbasa sausage, cut into 1/4"-1/2" slices
1/2 cup chopped onion (optional)
1 tsp of minced garlic (optional)
1 cup of pre-made fettuccine alfredo sauce
1/2 cup of frozen peas
Grated Parmesan and/or Romano to put on top

Cook the pasta according to the package.  During the last minute of the pasta cooking, add the 1/2 cup of frozen peas.  Drain, but do not rinse the pasta once done.  Keep warm.  You can add a small amount of olive oil so the pasta doesn't stick together.   

Put the sausage in an iron skillet and cook until the sausage is lightly browned.  Remove the sausage and let it drain on a paper towel lined plate.  Keep warm.  Drain most of the grease from the skillet but leave about a teaspoon for flavor. 
Next, add 2 TBSP of butter to the skillet and melt it while mixing it with the sausage grease.  Add the onion and garlic.  Cook until tender. You might need to add a little extra butter or olive oil.  Once melted, add the shrimp.  The shrimp will cook quickly-- only a few minutes.  Once done, reduce heat to low and add the cup of pre-made alfredo sauce until its all heated.

Put the shrimp, sausage and pasta into a big bowl and toss together.  Sprinkle with the grated Parmesan.
Serve with french bread and a salad.  I think the recipe serves about 4-6 people.
*Disclaimer*--- I did my best to be accurate with measurements but I don't measure when I cook this recipe. I just throw it in and see how it looks.

Other suggestions:
*Sometimes I substitute the sausage for bacon.
*You can omit the alfredo sauce and use a little extra olive oil when its mixed together.  The taste is a little different but just as good.   
*Increase or decrease any of the ingredients to fit your servings needed. 
*I, typically, use frozen raw shrimp and I like the jumbo ones, but I've used the pre-cooked shrimp to save time.  Just be careful to heat it just to get flavor and avoid overcooking it.
*use butter not margarine --tastes better.

I hope you enjoy it!!

Blessings

Mimi

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." 
Matthew 5:6  NIV Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment