Friday, November 16, 2012

Cloud Atlas: A Book and A Movie

A Book and A Movie


Hey!

When you get to the end of the first chapter and it ends mid-sentence --- Don't Panic!  You were not sold a faulty book like I originally thought because the sentence in question picks up in the last chapter.  This clever device is one of many that form David Mitchell's, Cloud Atlas into a masterfully created story. 

Cloud Atlas
David Mitchell


 The first 6 chapters of the book tell the stories of 6 different people.  The settings are different, the point in time is different, the style of writing is different and the vocabulary the author chooses to use is different.  The remaining 6 chapters pick up the tales of the characters in reverse order.  Think of it this way-- 1-2-3-4-5-6-5-4-3-2-1.    Each story could be a stand alone but watching how they tie together is wonderfully clever and unique. 

This book is filled with topics to discuss for a book club which is one of the reasons I chose it for my book club pick this month and the fact that the book is just downright good.
I have to confess that I had to pull out a dictionary during the first chapter because some of the words I had never seen nor heard.   I did find a nice interview where David Mitchell talks about writing and and the use of words click here

Honey Do and I saw the movie version this week.  The movie differs from the book but overall I felt the story was conveyed right.  We both really enjoyed it but be warned --- the movie is 3 hours long!! The movie also contains some nudity, language, a few grisly scenes and adult themes.  Tom Hanks, Halle Berry, Susan Sarandon, Hugh Grant, and Hugo Weaving are some of the actors in the movie version.

If you've read the book or seen the movie, I'd love to hear what you thought!

 Blessings,

Mimi



 "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything 
that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." 
 Hebrews 12:1 NIV Bible


If you would like to read about other books I've reviewed,  click here 

No comments:

Post a Comment