Friday, August 23, 2013

Loveseat Done!

Hey!

Almost three weeks ago, I posted here about the slow progress on the loveseat.  Today, I'm happy to say, the loveseat is done!

A reminder of the Before: 


The glory days of the 1980's left this loveseat tired, dated, sad,and stained.  But, I took her home because I liked her "bones", she was the right size and most importantly, the right price.

Reupholstering isn't hard but it can be labor intensive and tricky as I discovered with this wingback loveseat.  I've reupholstered many pieces of furniture before but, I had never attempted a wingback style piece. 

I made a couple of changes from the original design.  I used a different piece of fabric under the cushions and in the places no one can see.  Professional upholsterers often employ this method to stretch the fabric yardage and that is exactly why I did it, too.  I picked a stripe and I really like the surprise and playfulness of it. 


The second change you'll notice is I changed the two cushions to a bench seat.  I like the cleaner line and more modern look.

The After :


Wisdom for reupholstering your piece
  • The right tools make all the difference.  The job goes quicker.  I've seen tools at Jo Ann's, Hancock, Amazon and at a local car upholsterer's shop.
  • A pneumatic stapler is definitely the way to go!  I can't believe I've done this job in the past with a handheld.
  • Buy extra fabric.  Mistakes happen.
  • Start with an easy job like a chair bottom and work your way up to tackling bigger pieces. As I gained confidence, bigger pieces weren't as scary. 
  • Ask for help from someone who has done it before.  I had help for the first few pieces I tackled.  I learned not to be afraid of making that first cut in the fabric.
  • If the piece of furniture smells really bad or the frame is not very stable, pass on it.  Fixing these two problems is usually not worth the cost.
Reupholstering is a great way to stretch your decorating dollars and get a piece that is custom made for your home.  Let me know if you fix up a piece, I'd love to see your "after".

If you looked close in the after picture, you caught a glimpse of my kitchen reveal coming soon.   I can't wait to show you!

I've linked up today with Jennifer Rizzo's Creative Friday Link Party.

Blessings,

Mimi


"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty."  
Proverbs 14:23 NIV Bible

2 comments:

  1. That looks AMAZING, Mimi! I would LOVE to do this to two wingback chairs/ottoman we have...but I'm taking your advice and will not attempt that unless I've made it through reupholstering an easier project. Or if I could just fly you here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I'd start with the ottoman out of the three you listed. Send me a picture of it and I'll talk you through it if you want a little advice. Its not really hard. I'd love to come and help if I could. : )

      Delete