Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Good Books

Hey!

Wow!    2011 came and went and 2012 is here in full swing.

Did you make any resolutions?

Resolutions can be made every day but I do make a special one every New Year's.   I plan to read 50 books.

I know..... you were perhaps expecting something rather earth shattering?
Or, maybe you were thinking that I do need to lose those 20 pounds?
(After all, I do have 2 weddings in the next 6 months and will be walking an aisle in front of God and everybody!)

But sadly, no.   My resolution is to read 50 books of my choosing or in some cases, my book club's choosing.

This past year, I read 45 : some good, some not so good.  
I thought I'd share a few with you.


Set in Ethiopia, a medical tale about humanity, family, and how we treat others.  We had great discussion at book club about this story.


One of my all time favorite books!  An epic adventure to the last page, the story follows a priest who is taking a sacred artifact to Byzantium.  His quest leads him to encounter many different types of people like Vikings and he discovers that people are not always as they seem.


If you've read and loved The Hunger Games trilogy, then, I think you should enjoy The Maze Runner trilogy.  The maze is a test and a trial, but for what purpose?  Young Adult Lit is so fun even when you're my age!


A young woman's story of life and love as she lives with leprosy in the Kalaupapa colony on Moloka'i.
I had read a non-fictional account of this settlement in the book, The Colony ,which I highly recommend as well.



I love reading and looking at the pictures of design books and these two were the best I read in 2011. The Well Dressed Home uses fashion as it's jumping off point in designing a space.  Downtown Chic is a look at the life and homes designed by the Novogratzs who have a show on HGTV and manage to do all they do with 7 children!    I'm so impressed ....... and shamed. 


I enjoy a thriller and especially one that is trying to answer a biblical puzzle.  The one, in this book, centers around the three wise men.  If you liked The DaVinci Code, you might like this story.


Set in the 1940's, a coming of age story written by the author who penned The One Hundred and One Dalmatians.



A story, set during the Japanese internment in the United States, about love, friendship, honor and forgiveness.


Just plain ol' fun!  I snorted, I laughed and I cried.

I've already begun my reading for 2012  ---- 2 down, only 48 more to go!!

Blessings,

Mimi

"Jesus did many other things as well.  If every one of them were written down, I suppose 
that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written." 
 John 21:25    NIV Bible


No comments:

Post a Comment